Saturday, January 9, 2010

We're here!

So I finally manned up and made a blog. Because I've been here for a week and have about 4000 pages to update, I won't be that guy and make my friends and loved ones suffer through an annoyingly long blog post but instead post a few high (and low) lights:

1. British signs are incredible. British people talking is incredible. A Welshman at orientation was talking to us about "London transport," and literally shivered when he described "these new horrid bendy buses." I'm just delighted by anything anyone here says.

2. The Brits don't a) share rooms or bathrooms (what upppp), or b) use the internet for registration. The first is far better news. I queued for just so long yesterday. I queued at departments, at the enrolment office, at the computing services, realized my schedule didn't work and had to queue again at departments...it's really a kind of terrible system that they are bizarrely proud of. Makes no sense.

3. Went out to my first East End pub last night and lived to tell the tale! Although I was far from drunk I still lost my newly minted Queen Mary ID (I guess it fell out of my pocket? Unclear). So now I'm going to be that dumb American and go back to the pub asking if it turned up. Good.

4. Apparently I need to read about 4 books per week per class. But hell if that's going to stop me from leaving my room ever - this city is awesome!!!

5. I saw Sporty Spice play Mrs. Johnstone in Blood Brothers in the West End. It was every bit as terrifyingly horrible as one might expect. Why must erstwhile pop stars try to assert their legitimacy by invading good theater?? It's just not fair to the theater-going world at all.

Anyway, that was my stab at brevity. It's mostly complaints, but anyone who knows me know that complaining is what I do regardless of whether I'm happy or not. And I am very very happy! I miss you all so so so much, and maybe I'll update at least one more time before the semester is out!

E

PS Extra credit points to the person who correctly identifies the quotation in the title of this post

7 comments:

  1. We're here? How is that a quote? Isn't that said like pretty often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a thing from Love Actually. A paper mache octopus prime minister thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...

    ITS GET IN A LINE EMMA. not fucking queued.

    love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your ability to summarize thangs. I will so miss our hillel stuffing-our-faces-while-pretending-to-work sessions. Glad you're doing grand though!
    PS. My cousin studied in London last semester - I"m sure I can get many insider tips if you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete